Friday, July 31, 2015

Everything and Anything

My life has been crazy filled to the brim with everything I love about Summer, typical middle school life, sports, vegan baking, and figuring out myself.

Soccer 
First of all, I realized that I am a soccer player. I love everything about it. At school, I love nothing more than getting out onto the field with the guys... as the only girl player. Playing the guys has made me tougher, fiercer, more competitive and has given me a whole new view into sports. And I love it.

Vegan-ism
I have gotten some compliments recently on my vegan baking. You may not know it, but compliment a vegan baker and you've scored free cupcakes for life. One of the hardest things - harder than finding the least expensive ingredients, calculating the perfect amount of oven time - is convincing people to try it. To be honest, most of those doubters that don't even want to try something 'because it's vegan' have never tried animal product-free baked goods. I refuse to use artificial flavors or colors in my cupcakes and I keep it natural... did I mention delicious? Some vegans that offer people homemade baked goods don't mention the fact that it's vegan. Although, it may take people some convincing to try it, being vegan is nothing to be ashamed about! I am the only vegan kid at my school and, as you might imagine, yeah it is awkward. Yeah, I do feel weird when people bring tempting snacks and offer some to me. But, I have the best non-vegan friends in the world. 

One of my closest friends has even explained to her parents the whole concept of being vegan. She checks ingredients before giving me any food. She asks the kindest, most curious questions about my lifestyle. She raves about my baking to people that haven't tried it. She may not be vegan, but when she is with me, she is always super excited to try my food. We bake vegan together. She understands and she tries it. She is the friend that every vegan needs.

Running
This summer I have gotten the perfect tan. I love it from being out in the sun and I don't even mind my running-short tan lines (ha ha). Soon, I'm starting on a soccer team, so I guess I'll also have shin guard tan lines, too. But, when it comes to running, I've been getting super inspired (with Runner's World, going to a local running store or whatever) and then I have three great runs up to three miles in a row. I go easy at the beginning, really push at the end. I make a delicious spinach and berry smoothie to celebrate. Then, I'm out of motivation.

I think that not completing the Runner's World Summer Streak kind of disappointed me. I expected more from myself, and I feel like I've got to redeem myself. So, instead I've gotten lots of great running gear and I'm inspiring myself instead.

Keep on running,
Lili 

No comments:

Post a Comment