Saturday, March 14, 2015

Vegan for a Week

After reading an eye-opening book titled The Lucky Ones, I reconsidered my choice of being a vegetarian. I felt that I, someone that has always cared for animals and always will, could be doing more to help the beings that can't speak for themselves. This was something I always admired, encouraged and was passionate about? Why shouldn't I become vegan myself?

So I did it. For one week, I read every single ingredient on the foods I ate, I learned that Snapeas, those yummy crispy ones, had milk as their "Natural Flavoring". I learned that it isn't the slightest bit impossible to find bread without eggs. Sourdough bread tends to be vegan and luckily one has several ingredients. I tried foods that I would have never tried before. This week was full of new experiences, ideas and some very deep thoughts I've had about veganism. I've decided to compile a whole list of things I learned when I became vegan.

1. "Humanely-raised" milk is nearly impossible to find at a grocery store. I literally have not read one label that stated that their cows received appropriate care, space, treatment, food and compassion. It's pretty sad.

2. I got to tell others I was vegan. There was pretty much not a single person that had a negative response. That was something I didn't expect.

3. I felt proud when I told others I was vegan. I was a vegan that looked into healthy alternatives, options, cared for animals and educated others. That's what I was really aiming for and it made me smile inside and out.

4. People expect you to be a rabbit.. I wasn't a vegan that was just going to eat junk-food. I was determined to make healthy, balanced meals. I sure do love a salad (chopped salads are my favorites), but it's pretty stereotypical to think that vegans can't eat anything else.

5. Some people think vegans aim to be hard-to-please. First of all, we're not hard to please. Second of all, we do this because we think it's ethically 'right' - not to make anybody's life harder! I promise!

6. This is a pretty darn good world for a vegan. I mean, there were many surprises (like a cookie at Whole Foods - with fish oil) and some mistakes (I completely forgot that fruit snacks have gelatin) . But, the support I had from my family and friends felt so encouraging and amazing. So many stores, like Trader Joes, Fresh Thyme and Whole Foods, have tons of delicious vegan alternatives and the world is becoming so much more accepting.

7. For now, I'm not a  complete vegan. Mainly, I'm a vegan for animals - partly for health, though, too. I'm still exploring options to get a balanced amount of protein, so in the meantime the only eggs I eat come from chickens at a local farm co-op. This is currently the only animal product I'm eating, which I'm still pretty happy about.

7. Soon, I'm going to be completely vegan. Although these animals were fairly treated, I think it's awesome when people have a diet that doesn't contain any animal products at all. I'll be updating everyone on my adventures as a vegan very soon. Stay tuned!!