Thursday, December 11, 2014

Why I'm Doing the #RWRunStreak and Why You Should Too (Plus Exclusive Santa Run Recap!)

   Why would I run 1 mile daily for 36 days (during the busiest - and sometimes most stressful - time of the year)? 

It's simple. We need it. I, personally, crave it. While some crave potato chips, I crave PRs. That's how it goes.

I feel inspired. Today I told my PE Coach that I'm doing this and she (who runs marathons) was impressed. I was surprised. Was it really that... impressive?

Today I also learned that not many kids do it. I learned that not many kids are encouraged and excited to run - have gut-wrenching cramps, painful blisters and experience major challenges. It's understandable... but not for me.

10-20 minutes a day (the amount I usually take out of my schedule for my run) allows me to clear my head of everything and anything, bond with my best buddy (my pitbull/rat terrier mix named Bigby), show off my stylish new gear and have an amazing time getting fit and healthy.

I'm on day 13 (pretty sure at least, ha, ha.) and it's going great. Here's a quick recap of my runs so far:

Top Two Favorite Runs: 1. Is obviously the Santa Run! That was my favorite #RWRunStreak day last saturday. 2. Running to the park with a friend and my dog Bigby! We ran up the hill there (#hillwork), played a bit of soccer (Bigby has some awesome defense skills) and hung out. We ended up going to Starbucks to get some Frappucinos. Oh, well. That might've ruined our workout, ha ha.

Hardest Run: That was certainly my run two days ago. It wasn't the physically hardest run, but it was the mentally hardest run. It was only that way because Bigby wouldn't come with (it was raining and muddy out). Running without him felt empty... I will find a way to help him have fun in the rain. I am determined!

Best Part: I was so amazed when I was one of the few kids running the streak. But, it makes me even more inspired and I continue to thank my lucky stars that stuff like this is available.

What is the most humbling part of the streak? I've started thinking about the kids who can't run. Some kids complain about not wanting to run, but some kids want to run and can't. I can't imagine what it's like to not move around freely and this whole experience has been so humbling.

As you guys may know, I did the Santa Run on saturday with my awesome cousin. We didn't try for any PRs and didn't get the best times we could've. We took our time (and that's OK), but next time we're planning to break some PRs!!