Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Getting Runs in During the Holidays (Yes, Thanksgiving Counts)


How many bad things are there about the holidays? Not many. These my biggest holiday pet peeves:

1. It gets dark too early during the 'holiday months', (November and December). But, hey... that's not even that bad of a thing. It's cozier when it's darker, right? 

2. It's cold outside. Um.... yeah... obviously. It is November--and soon to be December--people! Plus, it's not Christmas without snow!

Those are my biggest annoyances.... not too many bad things to complain about! Here are my favorite parts:

1. Giving gifts! I know, I know, it's the right thing to say... you don't sound too greedy. But, honestly, I love the gratitude and compassion that floats around during the Holiday season. I love just sitting down to make a holiday gift with Christmas music in the background. It's one thing that I look forward to every year!

2. Family time! I always spend Christmas and Thanksgiving with my wonderful cousins and it's always really, really, REALLY fun. 

But, I now want to announce the worst, worst, WORST part of the holiday season: 

We eat too much and run too little.

I am determined to help change that and make a difference in my lifestyle (and yours, too!) Enjoy my exclusive tips on staying fit in the holiday season. 

Post: 
There are things that you can do about it! Here they are: 

  • Sign up for a holiday run. I can't wait to run the Santa Run in two weeks. 
  • Create healthy dishes REAL FOOD dishes, too. Check out my Thanksgiving 2014 pinterest board: http://www.pinterest.com/lilivaughan/thanksgiving-2014/
  • Buy Warm Clothes: Shop warm, run more. Simple as that!
  • Host a Family Run: Thanksgiving or Christmas week are great times for a fun race. Get your family together for an 'annual family holiday dash'.Make homemade trophies, hot cocoa and cookies to await you at home. 
  • Pre-calorie Burning! Before you binge on stuffing, train throughout November for an extra-long Thanksgiving morning run. Get up early, run a few miles and then return to face the cooking and cleaning for the big day. 
  • Try Something New! Look for a 1-time yoga, pilates or CrossFit program to enjoy indoors.
Homemade Award (found on Pinterest.com)